Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Oh, to live by the beach...

This blog isn't over folks! I know, I know you thought once I left Rome in all its glory that I'd be completely finished with this here travel blog.

But I'm not done traveling, and I hope never to be!

Today was a superb day.

A superb day in... L.A.!

I decided to go to LA for spring break to visit my dear old friend Tara, and to actually travel to Cali (and soak up some sun while I'm at it...) I was expecting to have a pretty relaxing first night, and it started off pretty chill with a run to the local grocery store. We then decided to meet up with Clarence and Tyler (friends from school who happened to vacationing in LA too!) and I assumed we'd just drive/chill around. We decide to take a random trip to Santa Monica.

*insert picture here*

feel free to be disappointed in me for not bringing my camera. I'll steal pictures from Clarence eventually...

The night was filled with going to the lounges/bars at extremely fancy hotels at Tyler's request (he's a hotel/restaurant and management major so he was enthralled) and feeling incredibly out of place, walking along the santa monica pier, ocean ave and promenade, and finding the sweeetest place around midnightish called Barney's Beanery (dad I know you're gonna look it up, I'll save you some time :http://www.barneysbeanery.com ), which was the hugest bar and grill I've ever seen decked out with a lot of random and awesome vintage deco including a lot of Iowa Hawkeye memorabilia. That almost caused us to leave, but we fought the urge. I somehow managed on a full stomach to scarf down a belgain waffle and a side of bacon, and I regret none of it.

That fabulous yesterday led into an even more amazing day.


4:30AM - EARTHQUAKE! No kidding. It was pretty small, but kindof awesome. It sparked my memory a bit from Geo 101 about those plates-a-shiftin. Tara slept right through it, and she was really angry that in her 2 years of living here she has never been through (or well been awake for) an earthquake and I in less than 24 hours managed to experience one... I don't know how she slept through it though, everything was...well...quaking.

7:00AM - WAKE UP!

7:30AM - no really, wake up...we're gonna be late for....

8:30AM - phew, we made it in time for Dr. PHIL!!! Haha. We were part of the liiive audience. They sure do make you clap alot. It's pretty cool to see shows behind the scenes. I would say watch tomorrow's show to see if I'm on it somewhere, but it was a really depressing topic about some guy that raped and murdered people and kept getting away with it, and frankly the show could have been wrapped up in about 5 minutes.

11:30AM - found out I got the internship offer that I really wanted for a place in Boston! GOD IS SO GOOD! AAAHH so excited. So to answer some questions, I know what I'll be doing after graduation. I'll be movin' to Boston!

2:00PM - Venice Beach? Here we come...

3:00 PM - thrifting in the venice area? yes please. found this awesome shop with slightly used designer type stuff from all over. ofcourse, I had to indulge a little bit to celebrate the internship!

4:00 PM - Laying out on the beach, soakin up the sun, platonic walks on the beach, people watchin, ridin out some waves... It doesn't get much better than that. I'd love to surf, but might save that for a trip where my wallet wasn't weeping as much...

9:00 PM - Don't wanna be late for Poetry night hosted by Shihan!

9:10 PM - okay so we're late...

9:30 PM - WHERE IS THIS PLACE!

9:45 PM - LA, your signage is terrible.

10:30 PM - there's a second show? thank God! There was some great poems, even Shihan performed and Dante Basco (aka Rufio from hook, my crush from maybe 7th grade, whatevs. Also, didn't realize it was HIM until after I met him...) made a little appearance and dropped a poem then randomly Will.I.Am. from black eyed peas shows up?!!!? so crazy! mind you this a pretty intimate show of less than 100... He read this really odd and out of place poem about how much technology is taking over our lives and communication...but he was reading it from his iphone...
Will had probably the worst "poem" of all but it was cool to see him and I said hi to him after the show!

Also, this chick Andy Allo played at the show and she was awesome! bought her cd. very cool voice, and sweet guitar player too. haven't listened to the cd yet, but check her out! http://www.andyallo.com/Home.html


okay so that is all for now. It's far past the bed time. Got to get up early tomorrow and hike!

Love Love Love,

Pj

1 comment:

  1. Nice to know the blog is not over. I love the hourly play by play. Cool to experience an earthquake that was mild enough to sleep through. Congrats on the internship. Fun times ahead.

    ReplyDelete