Friday, September 25, 2009

Packaging, Primo, and Parents.

Life has been busy. The majority of this business is filled with ridiculous amounts of homework.

The first portion of my week/last weekend was spent on this beaut:



This might look easy enough to do... but trust me, around 30 laborious hours of designing a pattern, cutting, redesigning, failing, redesigning again, and cutting....

It was rough to say the least. We only had 6 days to complete it! We were asked to draw 2 class-suggested nouns from a hat. I "Flip Flops" and "Pantheon Dome", Immediately throwing out Flip Flops. I love the Oculus of the Pantheon, So I knew I wanted to make sure that was conveyed as well as the elaborate and delicate detail in the interior of the structure. It was convenient I knew so much about the dome already because of our Densely packed Art History class, so research was already done.

I am not a fan at all of packaging, making things out of paper really isn't my forte. Because of this I have to work extra hard...so it was a struggle, but definitely worth it.


The second portion of this week was filled with a "Packaging workshop". Primo Angeli, world famous Designer from San Fransico, came for a 3 day visit here in Rome to work with us on a packaging project. We were divided into 6 groups, and were asked to select an Italian product and redesign and innovate the packaging.

OK, so this is kindof cool. Really really cool actually. However, the crazy thing is they expect a phenomenal finished innovative package redesign that should take weeks or even months to do.... in. 3. days.

So this means 3 very restless days and nights. This means 3 days of shirked real meals. This means 3 Late nights at the studio. This means 3 days of rough, intense, depressing, crazy, stressful, rediculousness... But I liked how everything turned out. Primo (or should I say Mr. Angeli, He's old enough to be my grandfather) is a hilarious, blunt and kindhearted and sometimes harsh man with phenomenal experience and an eye for talent and innovation. It was great to work with him, and I was astonished to see how blown away he was with all of our finished projects. It was a great experience, and although I am exhausted I'm really pleased that we had the privilege to have this "workshop".


2 very time consuming projects in the last week. I'm spent. But it's off to Assisi early tomorrow morning for a day trip. Pictures will ensue.

Love,

PJ

P.S. My parents are coming to visit me next month. While I don't want to rush my stay here, I am beyond excited about seeing their lovely faces. I miss 'em.

P.P.S. "Cribs" Video to come soon, so you can get a nice tour of my apartment! I'm half way through the editing process...

1 comment:

  1. Wow - your finished work looks great! Also good to hear that you had a great experience with the Primo Angelini workshop. Looking forward
    to seeing you in 3 wks.
    Luv ya - Dad & Mom

    ReplyDelete