Friday, September 11, 2009

Roaming Rome Alone

Yesterday a project was introduced to us titled "A Thousand paces". We were instructed to start at the Pantheon, and walk a thousand steps in any direction, documenting what we saw heard and smell along the way via sketching, writing, and taking pictures. 300 steps into the project I looked around and realized that, because our class had all dispersed into our own alleys and streets, for what seemed to be the first time... I was alone.

I took a deep breath and realized that I felt free.

Don't get me wrong, I love my roommates/friends. They are beautiful souls. But I have been with another being almost 24/7 of this entire trip and didn't realized how much I missed my alone time sometimes. Wandering almost aimlessly caused me to heighten my senses, instead of relying on someone else to navigate me through the winding Roman cobblestone paths. I missed that strong, independent, freeing feeling.

Every side street and alley seemed to have it's own personality, and instead of the creepy alley's in Chicago there was an abundance of quaint, antique, and beautiful corners and sidestreets. I didn't stop to look at things like that when traipsing around with a group. It's nice to be alone, every now and again.

I'm enjoying the splendor that Rome has to offer to my eyes and ears, but my next mission is to get to know some Italians. I don't know any, except for our Italian Instructors! How am I supposed to truly do as Romans do if I don't know any Romans? Hopefully I'll safely stumble into a friendship or two without having to try, really... This seems to be difficult with all this homework!


I liked this door... so I took a picture

My favorite alley of all time. I just want to walk down this red carpet...but without having to go to the restaurant and probably having to pay a ridiculously high fee for delicious food.
I would like a moped. But traffic in Rome is mostly insane, so that is entirely insane to even think of renting one.
I believe this is their Parliament building?

This mirror was high. Who is it for?
This is the Pantheon. It's kindof beautiful and amazing and majestic, even though it's a former pagan temple turned into a Catholic Church.
The Oculus (open hole) inside the Pantheon.

A pretty fountain at the Villa Bourghese. This place is the most breathtaking place I've seen so far in Rome.

This is a chalk pastel I did of Herberto, our apartment mascot. He's kindof a big deal.





Thanks for reading. I love you, and you and you.

Pj

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PJ - thanks for the post. It's great to see that you are settling in and getting a chance to enjoy the environment. Also - great picture of Herberto & we enjoyed the photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so it's official, i'm gonna buy a red carpet and put it outside my back door. :)

    great pics.

    ReplyDelete